Social Services Associate -Full Time
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2018
Williamsport Retirement Village
Social Service Associate
Purpose: To meet the social and emotional needs of the Residents of Social Service in Williamsport Nursing Home.
Job Functions: As Social Services Associate, you are responsible for providing services to respond to the emotional needs of the Residents and their families. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description at any time.
· Complete a social history and admission note within 7 days of admission
· Provide Residents education and information/documents on Advance Directives, assist Resident in
completing advance directives as needed
· In collaboration with physician and nursing, review documentation on decision making capacity,
advanced directives and MOLST form
· Review Mental Health Mental Retardation ID screen (PASRR)
· Complete Social Service Audit on all new admissions
MDS 3.0, ASSESSMENTS, CARE PLANS & DOCUMENTATION
- Complete MDS 3.0 assessments, sections A,D,E,S and Q as required
- In collaboration with nursing develop and review care plans that address that psycho-social,
emotional and health related needs of the residents as well as discharge planning
· Facilitate and participate care plan conferences as required
· Complete quarterly social service progress note
· Complete the Folstein Mini Mental State Exam as needed
IDENTIFYING AND MEETING RESIDENTS NEEDS
· Coordinate room changes as needed in collaboration with admissions department and nursing
· Provide Residents/family supportive listening, as needed
· Assist and support Residents with adjustment to placement and coping with the psycho-social
aspects of their illness, impairment and/or disabilities.
· Facilitate mental health referrals and Hospice referrals as needed
· Participate in monthly At Risk meeting
· Review concern reports, document follow up and outcome, and notify supervisor
· Investigate missing items and review and document follow up and outcome, and notify supervisor
· Facilitate discharge planning in collaboration with other disciplines
· Discuss with the Resident/family the Non Medicare Coverage date and facilitate Resident/family
signing form, explaining appeal rights and forward to the accounting department.
· Support Residents in appeal process, if needed, and maintain the appeal log
· Initiate discharge paperwork for nursing and physicians
· Make appropriate community referrals to ensure a safe discharge plan.
· Participate in PPS, if Director is unable to attend
· Provide Social Service in-services as needed
· Attend professional seminars to enhance professional growth and standards
· Maintain an understating of current Federal, State and Local laws and regulations, in accordance
to skilled nursing facility
· Perform special duties, as assigned
· Maintain the confidentiality of all Resident care information including protected health
· Ensure that all Residents and families are treated with kindness, dignity and respect
· Knock before entering a resident’s room.
· Give Residents as many choices as appropriate
· Exhibit knowledge of the Residents Rights and Responsibilities, including right of refusal
· Review complaints and grievances made by the Resident and make a written/oral report to the
DON/ADON indicating what action(s) was taken to resolve the complaint or grievance.
· Provide Residents with information concerning resident rights and explain as necessary.
· Participate in Resident Council meetings as requested and provide support
services to such council.
· Working in normal office environment, employee may be required to sit, bend, stoop, use
keyboard, see, talk and hear.
· Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
· Works in office areas as well as throughout the facility.
· Is subject to frequent interruptions.
· Is involved with residents, personnel, visitors, government agencies/personnel, etc., under all
conditions and circumstances.
· Is subject to hostile and emotionally upset residents, family members, etc.
· Communicates with the medical staff, nursing service, and other department directors.
· Must be able to move intermittently throughout the workday.
· Must be able to speak and write the English language in an understandable manner.
· Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
· Must possess sight/hearing senses or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function
adequately so that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
· Must function independently and have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work
effectively with residents, personnel, and support agencies.
· Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and, at times,
hostile people within the facility.
· May be necessary to assist in the evacuation of residents during emergency situations.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree in Human Services or related field.
· Must have, a minimum of one year experience in human services, preferred work with the elderly,
or related healthcare facility
· Must demonstrate the ability to assess resident needs, develop and implement a plan of care and
coordinate the discharge planning process.
· Must possess an understating of current Federal, State and Local laws, regulations in accordance
to skilled nursing facility
· Must possess excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
· Must be a supportive team member, contribute to and be an example of teamwork and team concept.
- human services: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor's (required)